sunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymama

27 August 2011

Making a mini pond in our garden





Recently Nozy and Sunnyboy made a tiny pond by our back door. They dug a hole to fit an old washing up bowl,


filled it with rain water,


and a little water from the big pond.


They found some stones,


to put in and around the pond.


Then they added some shiny stones,


and shells,


and a fairy,


and planted some wildflower seeds next to their new mini pond.


13th September 2011:
A frog in our pond

You may also like:

Nature Study kit


Outdoor play kitchen


The Very Hungry Caterpillar project


Homemade wooden Angry Birds game


Pirate boat (and a treasure map)


Dandelions and other flowers


Click here to see the play, crafts and learning ideas blog link-ups we share at.
Best Projects for Kids from 2011

NATURE STUDY on Sunny Days Pinterest.

sunnydaytodaymama

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky! What kid wouldn't love a pond?

    I am a new follower from Link and Learn from No Time for Flashcards. If you have a moment please come by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! It is definitely on my to do list with the children. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah how lovely! I want a mini
    pond to go with our fairy house now. That would be so cute and the kids would LOVE playing with it...

    Thanks for joining Kids Get Crafty - always fab to have you there!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely idea...my girls make fairy gardens, with yogurt container sized ponds...this year we'll have to get a little larger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son loves playing in any kind of water! He would love this!

    Stopping from the Kid Boggers Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful idea! Thank you for linking up to the Best of 2011 Blog Party! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS! I am going to pin this idea so I can remember to do it in the spring once we get our new garden all set up.

    Stopping by from Best of 2011 Blog Hop! Happy New Year!

    Mommy Cameron | Raising the Cameron Clan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like so much fun. Makes me so ready for spring! Visiting from the Best of 2011 blog hop. :) Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to pin this for ideas for my backyard! My buddies would LOVE this, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter would love doing this! Thank you for sharing! Would be fun to create a story about it too once she's played with it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet little pond!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thinking of doing this with my son. How do you care for your sweet little pond? For example; discouraging mosquito. Such a sweet idea. We have such a tiny yard and I am searching for ideas to do with my son. This would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I will try again. My computer is so unpredictable. I love this idea. My yard is very tiny (16 x 16) I would love to do this with my son this spring. How do you maintain/care for your wee little pond? For example, how do you discourage mosquito?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elana, we change the water in our mini pond every so often. There's some advice on caring for a pond here: Pond care
      I think there are methods, such a mosquito eating fish or using chemicals, that can discourage mosquitoes but we haven't really found they've been a problem so far.
      Thanks for commenting and I hope you have fun making a your mini pond! :)

      Delete
  15. What a fun idea! I bet it would encourage birds to come around too! :)

    ReplyDelete