sunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymama

13 April 2009

Frugal play kitchen

I wanted Sunnyboy to have a play kitchen but we didn't have the room (or the money) for the beautiful wooden kitchens I'd seen. Instead I bought this wooden hob from a charity shop for £2. At first it was on the floor in the corner of the bedroom and then when we were walking home one day we spotted the wooden stand/shelf with a note attached saying 'free shelf thingy - please take'. So the hob stands on that now and Sunnyboy has room for a tray of kitchen accessories underneath.





The cube storage unit on the left cost £3 secondhand from a charity shop and Sunnyboy has a basket of kitchen utensils and a basket of play food, also from charity shops. In fact, every item in these pictures (other than the 'free shelf thingy') was bought secondhand. So Sunnyboy's kitchen was very cheap to create and is compact enough to fit in a small space, but regardless of this he enjoys playing with it a lot.

There are more ideas for toy storage in a small space in these posts:
Toy storage in a small space - Part 1
Toy storage in a small space - Part 2
Puzzle storage
An art easel in a small space
An art display in a small space
Folding trampoline

Click here to see the play, crafts and learning ideas blog link-ups we share at.

25 comments:

  1. That is too cute! I would love to get Aden something like that! He loves to be with me in the kitchen when I cook.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! :)

    Nothing beats free! We found our 20-gallon aquarium and stand sitting next to a dumpster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice; Its so neat and cute. My boys love to play with my cooking pan and make a mess in my kitchen. Sunnyboy is really a special young boy and has a wonderful Mommy. Thanks for visiting mine and leaving a warm uplifting words. I am feeling happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely !!! Sunnyboy will have fun cooking in his own space now.

    You are a wonderful mum!

    p.s. Thanks for the nice note you left me over in my necessary room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the perfect play kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful corner for playing in. Can I play too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids would have *loved* that kitchen set-up when they were little! It's fun, bright, beautiful, inexpensive, yet utterly appealing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so perfect for a fun play kitchen and for a very small cost. Way to go Sunnymama.

    Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that looks fantastic, we have just a big wicker basket of wooden play food, plates, kettle etc right now but you've given me some good ideas to create a play kitchen as we can't afford one!

    Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. For sure a chef in the making.
    Enjoy, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable....a true treasure fit for a KINGLY Chef!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so awesome!! Sunnyboy must be in Heavens Kitchen when he plays here.

    Good job on Making-Do, what a talent to you have, a good eye too, to see what works together!!

    Keep up the wonderful work you are doing with SunnyBoy. He sure is lucky to have you for his mother!!

    Take care and thanks for sharing the wonderful photos, it is really awesome!!

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! this is incredible- What great finds and what an amazing way to put it all together!! V.inspiring:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    Thanks so much for linking to 2nd Time Around!

    I remember how much my kids use to love to play 'kitchen'....you did good!

    :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice find! we also found a really cheap version that got played with just as much as the beautiful ones! Mine just needed a couple of coats of paint

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool kitchen Sunnyboy! Yes, I will take the invitation to lunch anytime..LOL!

    Hey, my mother is the queen of secondhand and it's amazing some of the gorgeous and neat things she buys.... The problem is it takes her alllllll day.. After a half dozen stores, I say, "I will see you at dinner." LOL! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's really cute! I bet he loves playing in his little kitchen area. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great set and affordable. It has years of good play left in it. That's what so great about those wooden sets they hold up for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My hubby found a perfectly good play kitchen someone had put out in the trash. He brought it home, we cleaned it up and now Pumpkin has a great free play kitchen. I've even started stocking it with old cleaned out food containers. Why pay for the play ones when you have perfectly good ones already at home?

    ReplyDelete
  22. wonderfully put together! Don't you love the play things you can put together cheaply? Our play kitchen is a hand-me-down and it has gotten SO MUCH use.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah! God is so good to provide what we need for costs we can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, love this!! Even though my son can't even crawl yet, I've already started thrifting things for a mini kitchen for him. Today I got a tiny enamelware casserole dish and sauce pan. I also have a mini muffin tin. I have the perfect pieces of garage sale furniture that I think I'll be able to turn into a stove and sink (with my dad's help!)

    ReplyDelete